Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Beauty of the Bowl: Clean Eats for People Who Have No Time to Cook!

I am way overdue on a new post, so don't be surprised if a few go up over the next few days!

The past two weeks of my life have been dedicated to work; preparing and planning for my largest event of the year. Since this was my first go around with this event, it took a lot out of me: I have been breathing, eating and sleeping, Chapman. I am not complaining, because I absolutely love my job, it is just hard sometimes to give up your daily routine for multiple 12 hour days at the office. But that is over, for now! And I have time to return to the things I love like cooking and exercising on a daily basis.

During these whirlwind two weeks, it was important that I stayed committed to my clean eating routine. Especially since finding time to exercise had been particularly though. It was during this time that I discovered the beauty of the 'bowl': quick (less than 20 minutes start to finish), easy and clean meals that taste delicious! My new obsession started I basically was throwing a bunch of ingredients into a bowl and calling it dinner, but boy, did they turn out delicious and you can create so many variations that you basically could eat them for a month straight without getting bored!  They are a great substitute for easy meals where we often turn to carb heavy options such as sandwiches, burritos or burgers because you are in need of something quick.

Here are 3 of my favorite clean eating bowls...

Colorful Quinoa Bowl
* Cleanse Friendly

Colorful Quinoa Bowl
(Makes 1 Serving) 
1/2 cup Cooked Quinoa ( I like to cook ahead of time and have on hand for situations like this)
1/2 Small Sweet Potato, quartered
Handful of Kale
2 TBLS Dried Unsweetened Cranberries 
2 TSP EVOO
Garlic Powder
Pink Himalayan Salt 
Pepper

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and serve!



Fajita/ Burrito Bowls
(Makes 1 Serving)
1/2 Cup Black Beans
Organic Chicken Breast or Skirt Steak marinated in a Clean Fajita Marinade or Salsa
Thinly Sliced Bell Peppers and Onions
Homemade Guacamole
Salsa

Cook marinated meat in skillet, until it is done as desired. Remove meat from skillet and set aside. Add the onions and bell peppers to the leftover marinade and cook until soft. Return meat to skillet and toss with onions and peppers.

Warm black beans and place in serving bowls. Top with meat, pepper and onion mixture and
then guacamole and salsa. Serve immediately.




Turkey Burger Bowl
(Makes 1 Serving) 

1/2 cup Lean Ground Turkey, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, cooked through and browned.
1/2 Avocado, diced
1/2 Small Sweet Potato, quartered and steamed, seasoned with garlic powder, salt and a little cinnamon
Handful of Kale Leaves

Toss ingredients together and serve!

Happy Clean Eating!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Learn More!